The Village of Ryhope is located at the southern boundary of Sunderland before the route enters County Durham. Ryhope was once part of the Durham Coalfield and followed the path of many other villages in the area, by abandoning agriculture as the main employee in favour of coal. In 1859 a colliery was opened and railway lines were introduced to the area, linking Ryhope to Sunderland, Seaham and other Durham Coalfield mining villages. Now only a single railway line runs through the village, although there is no longer a station. The colliery was closed in 1966.
The older village section is centred on a triangular ‘green’, which contains a war monument.
Ryhope Dene marks the border of Sunderland and Durham.